Day 37.5: "Something Good" May Be Happening After All!

I'm going to nerd out for a moment about a piece of news that has nothing to do with Ex's and my breakup. Kate Bush, my all-time favorite songstress, will reportedly be releasing a new album (or at least a new track or two) in 2011. For those of you who aren't familiar with Bush (insert tactless joke about gay men and their lack of familiarity with female anatomy here), her previous album, Aerial, was released in 2005 after a 12-year hiatus. New songs in 2011 would be like getting a Christmas present six years early!

Incidentally, Bush is a very private person, but it's well-known that during her 12 years away from the studio, she and her boyfriend of many years called it quits.

Kate Bush also played a crucial role in Ex's and my courtship. A dancer, Ex played me one video recording after another of dances by Martha Graham, Paul Taylor, Mark Morris, and many others. Although I'd always secretly dreamed of becoming a dancer, I never got further than miming music video routines in my bedroom. (I'll have you know my voguing was the envy of my family and friends at my Bar Mitzvah party.) The best example of "real dancing" I had on tape was Bush's music video for her song, "Running Up That Hill" - her only top-40 "hit" in the United States.

I showed the video to Ex. He criticized Kate's lack of footwork, but overall he was impressed. She went on to become one of his favorite artists as well.

3 comments:

x7reno said...

Hi Steve,

The video you posted here, a favorite band of mine covered this song. You might be interested. Youtube Within Temptation's cover. :)

Mr. Bradley said...

Other covers include Placebo, Club for Five, and Faith and the Muse.

Steve said...

Hi Dale and Mr. Bradley,

I love the Within Temptation cover! There's also a great cover of Kate's "Love and Anger" by Nada Surf. Actually, I've also found it frustrating that her music DOES "hit" in the United States, by mostly when covered by other musicians.

Post a Comment

ShareThis