Day 37: SAT Prep

In an earlier post I mentioned I was applying for a job as a test-writer. I'm still in the process of interviewing for that job; hence, I've have test questions on the brain. Here's one for you:

Two ex-lovers, Lover A and Lover B, stare at each other in their purple Honda Fit after a long drive home from work. Lover B has tears in his eyes. During the drive, he experienced a revelation: he had resented Lover A for coming to his aid, especially towards the end of their relationship, because it made Lover B feel weak. Lover B realized he ended the relationship largely because he despised his own weakness. Lover A watches him, wanting nothing more than to reach across the shift module and touch Lover B's face. He reaches out; Lover B leans forward, pulling Lover A into a tight embrace. Lover A kisses him on the mouth. Lover B returns the kiss, then gently backs away. "I'm a terrible person," he says. "I'm no good for you right now - or anyone." Lover A counters that B isn't a terrible person, merely a flawed human being like all of us. Lover B embraces him again, thanking him. Lover A nestles his head into Lover B's shoulder. They sit like this for awhile. Adrift from each other and themselves after 37 days of separation, tonight, if only for a few moments, they have reconnected.
This is the setup, the "reading selection." Here is the question:
Given Lover B's realization that he broke up with Lover A because he feared his own weakness, and also given his tenderness towards Lover A in the car, which of the following would most likely happen the next day?

(a) Lover B comes crawling back to Lover A. He begs forgiveness for his behavior during the last 37 days and, with tears in his eyes, proclaims his undying love.

(b) Lover B does not communicate with Lover A. Instead he makes an appointment with a therapist, begins earnestly taking stock of his own fears, and replays the events of the previous night in his head, smiling gently at the memory.

(c) Lover B does not communicate with Lover A. Instead he goes to the city for dinner and tango-dancing with his new boyfriend of roughly 37 days.
Clearly answer choice "a" is wishful thinking on my part. But surely the most reasonable choice - the most emotionally mature - is "b," right?

The correct answer? "C," of course.

2 comments:

x7reno said...

Hello, again, Steve,

I know this is going to sound ironic, but getting over someone doesn't mean that you have to totally and completely forget about them. If all you need is some small memory to get you through the day then use it. Don't be afraid to cling on to one good memory. I do it. And it helps me through the day. And when I come home from class, I'll be sad, but knowing that I had someone to share my life with, even for a short amount of time, was worth it.

Hope that helps, even a little.

Dale

Steve said...

Hi Dale,

I think this is really smart and powerful. The best I've managed so far is to draw a distinction between the man my ex used to be and the man he is now. I don't much care for the new man, but the man I loved for 10 of those 12 years - the old "Ex" - gave me many wonderful memories, and I will treasure them always.

:) Steve

Post a Comment

ShareThis