Days 24-26: Haunted - or Cleaning Up and Breaking Down

My father's words on Day 23 may have helped me at the moment, but "the moment" has since changed in three key ways:

  1. Ex has returned (from his weekend of coitus at the hotel).
  2. My new home - the apartment into which I've invested nearly every hour of the last two days - is an absolute disaster.
  3. Apropos of Point #1 ("Ex has returned"), his presence makes it impossible for me to focus on anything besides how much I still love him, and how furiously jealous I am of his new boyfriend.
I. Ex has returned.

The front door of the apartment creaked open, awaking me from a dream about Ex (my second since learning about Sven). Ex knew I'd discovered his secret. I'd found a receipt for the hotel booking in his e-mail and called the hotel. Ex and Sven had not yet checked in, but I asked the man on the telephone to leave a note for Ex: "Call Steve. Emergency." The next morning I checked my phone and saw one missed call from Ex at 7:15 that morning. He hadn't left a message. Part of me assumed (hoped?) the concierge had forgotten about me by the time Sven and Ex showed up.

He hadn't.

I called Ex's name when I heard the door close. He said, "it's me," then walked quickly to the bathroom and shut the door. I hoisted myself up from the air mattress and waited. I heard the flush of the toilet; he opened the door. Aiming his eyes directly at mine, he said in a hard voice, "Well, we have a lot to talk about, don't we?"

My plan was simple. If the concierge had indeed delivered my message, I would wait for Ex to confront me, then silence him (perhaps with a grand gesture?) and speak this line: "Now that I know what you've done, I never want to see you again."

This line (or a slightly less theatrical version thereof) had been scripted for me by one of my best friends, "Mark." Mark understood what I was going through: a few years ago, his girlfriend of eight years had cheated on him. Not unlike myself (or most of the country, apparently), he learned of the infidelity by reading her e-mails. I remember speaking to him on the phone while he was still fresh from the breakup. The experience had reduced him to a heartbroken mess.

Mark listened as I poured out the details of Ex's romance with Sven, then offered new details about his own breakup. "You don't know the half of it," he began. "I smashed up her stuff with a baseball bat. I got in her face and shouted at her until she was scared of me. I found out the address of the guy she was with and seriously thought I was going to kill him." Somehow it hadn't crossed my mind to kill Sven (or Ex), but I'd certainly thought about destroying some furniture; the only problem was, most of our furniture belonged to me. "Listen," Mark continued. "No one could console me. I was inconsolable. But if there's one thing I wish I'd done, it was just walk away. Tell him you know, then make a clean break. Don't call him; don't speak to him. Just walk away."

I managed to follow this last part of the plan, declining Ex's invitation to talk about Sven and exiting, stage-right, to the kitchen. But talk about Sven we did. I can't recall which one of us spoke first, but the next thing I remember is Ex insisting that I didn't know the whole story. He and Sven had waited to have sex until after he broke up with me. (I'd concluded as much on my own, but hearing it from him still didn't make me feel any better about it). Ex spoke gently, his initial hardness giving way to something between an adult delivering bad news and a child fearing punishment.

ME: But you flirted with him before we broke up, right?

EX (pause, squinting deliberately and looking off to the side to show me he was thinking): It started around November.

ME: And you love him.

EX (pause): I might.

ME: How many times have you had sex with him?

EX (again, squinting): Four?

ME: The first time was in the swimming pool.

EX: The swimming pool? How did you know about that?

ME: Your e-mails.

EX: The other day when I was having trouble signing in and you helped me, you were watching me enter my password, weren't you.

ME: I installed spyware on your computer. It kept a log all your keystrokes; I got your passwords from there.

Ex smiled, sucking at his tongue.

EX: I'm impressed. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm impressed.

I smiled, too. For a moment, we were friends, enjoying each other's company and surprising each other as only best friends can do.

A few hours later we shared another "friendship moment" over two slices of pizza and a calzone at the neighborhood pizzeria. I asked if Sven had recently broken up with his own partner (I recall Ex saying that Sven was in a relationship when Sven's name - and semi-nude photos - first make their appearance in our relationship several weeks ago). Ex replied that Sven had been in a five-year relationship with an Argentinian tango-dancer who beat him. I was surprised, but also concerned. Ex, too, had suffered through several abusive relationships. The first was with his biological father (Ex and his two brothers were removed from the house and eventually adopted by the same family). Others relationships followed, in high school and college, where Ex lived in fear of his boyfriends' tempers. I'm not sure why, but I was worried by Ex's and Sven's shared history of abuse. "Be careful," I said. A curious Ex looked up at me from his calzone. I struggled to explain my concern - I'm still not sure how to explain it. The best I could do was to say, "both of you have been abused. Just be aware of your histories and what you're both bringing to the relationship."

At the same time I've been reconnecting with Ex as a friend, I am still a heartbroken mess of ex-boyfriend - more so than ever since learning about Sven. Against my better judgement, I asked Ex about his sex-life with Sven. How did they do it?

EX: MJO.

ME: What?

EX: Mutual jerking off, rubbing.

ME: Have you had anal sex?

EX (pause; answering, perhaps, despite his own better judgement): Yes. Once. I penetrated him.

My heart caught fire.

Ex and I rarely had anal sex. The few times we did I usually bottomed. I never quite enjoyed it, but I wanted it. It forced me into a kind of transcendental state where my nerve-endings died and were born anew into a separate language of sensation - wonderful, hypnotic, painful, and completely alien.

Because we had anal sex so infrequently, the preparation took forever. Ex would urge me to relax, whispering x-rated, sweet-nothings into my ear. I would relax a little, then tighten, then relax a little more, then become distracted and force us to begin the process all over again. This game of relax-and-tighten could last as long as twenty minutes. Then in he went - though not all at once. No matter how much relaxation I could muster, no matter how many fingers I could accommodate, I was never prepared for the big entry. So again - relax and tighten. Fast-forward another five minutes - more if the dog started barking or an ambulance with blaring siren happened to pass by our window - and then - finally - we were making love. It may have taken a ridiculous amount of time to get there, but once the love-making began, my circuits would short and my body would slide into a foreign land.

Being that he's a dancer, Sven is probably a more limber bottom than I. He might be a more seasoned one, too, but it doesn't matter: the fact that Ex would enter him, would share with him such an intimate and otherworldly experience, turned my blood to lava. At the same time, I was also suddenly, perversely attracted to him. I had never loved Ex more, nor wanted him more feverishly to fuck me.

Following Ex's revelation about penetrating Sven, I began having "Sven flashes" - blazing, mental cinematic images of lips curling, eyes rolling beneath closed eyelids; close-ups of Sven's beautiful face as Ex pleasures him off-camera. I have only a tenuous memory of Sven face. (He looks a bit like Taylor Lautner, so I tend to think of Lautner's face, particularly his snub nose, when I try to conjure a mental picture of Sven.) But the exact appearance of his face matters little. It's the pleasure on that face that haunts me, that suddenly ignites in my brain like one of my intrusive thoughts from years ago.

I have some control over my Sven flashes. Whereas my thought disorder robbed me of control, I can snuff out a flash in progress, demand my brain to extinguish it. But I can't prevent it from starting. On Day 24, the flashes came suddenly as I lay in bed - a moan escaping his lips; his nostrils flaring. I squeezed my eyes closed, putting out the fires, then opened my eyes again, staring dully at the object directly in front of me - the circular play/pause toggle on my DVD player. For the next ten minutes I attempted to will my own death. I stared, concentrated, pictured my blood slowing and my heartbeat coming to a rest. But my heart refused to stop.

II. My new home - the apartment into which I've invested nearly every hour of the last three days - is an absolute disaster.

I may have been a hippie in college, but it takes more than a bundle of burning sage to make me feel at home in a new space.

I painted and cleaned all day Sunday. On Monday Ex joined me. As we cleaned, each in a separate room, I reached several conclusions about the previous tenant.
  • S/he lived alone, craved company, but was allergic to animals of all kinds, feathered, furry, and scaly. Hence, s/he decided to keep mold spores as pets, refusing to wipe them away or alert the superintendent to their presence for fear he might paint over them.
  • S/he did not enjoy looking outside and therefore never cleaned the windows.
  • S/he loved cooking fatty foods on the stove top, so much that occasionally s/he splashed the excess fat around the kitchen and allowed it seep beneath the burners just to keep the apartment smelling like a home-cooked meal.
  • S/he preferred linoleum to ceramic. (This I already knew, but it continues to amaze me.)
  • S/he was Buddhist and understood that unity cannot exist with separation. Ergo, s/he opted to preserve the cracks in the walls, for the cracks symbolized the ebb and flow, the yin and yang of life.
  • Between tending to the mold spores and splashing the fat around the kitchen, s/he was obviously very busy and never had time to clean.
Ex and I were making progress. He'd helped Acif peel up the linoleum in the bathroom, applied adhesive remover to the floor, and dusted the tops of all the window and door frames. Meanwhile, I'd been scrubbing fingerprints and scuff marks off the walls and doors, cleaning the windows and the insides of the frames, and dusting the moldings, all while treading delicately on the parquet floor which, two coats of stain and three days later, still hadn't dried.

But all was not well. The paint provided by the super for touch-ups didn't match the walls. We were almost out of disposable rags and Windex. The kitchen floor, which I'd scrubbed by hand two days before, was now covered in adhesive tracked into the kitchen from the bathroom. Outside it had started snowing, which meant the weather forcasters' predictions of another foot of snow would probably come true. This, in turn, meant we couldn't move my furniture until the snow began to melt. I was about to power on the vacuum to suck rotting leaves and paint chips from between the two panes of a window. Suddenly I saw Sven's "pleasure face" - my first "flash." I called out to Ex, "I'm not doing well." Three minutes later, I was crying. I retreated to the kitchen and smoked a cigarette. My tears gave way to body-shaking sobs.

I hadn't cried like this even on Days 1-2. I was hysterical, catastrophic. Ex came to the kitchen and sat beside me, trying to calm me down. "Take deep breathes," he said. I didn't want to. I squealed like Miss Piggy between phlegmy hiccups of air as I tried to explain what I was feeling, to describe how devastated I was by Ex's answers to the questions I never should have asked in the first place - particularly the one about anal sex. I hated the apartment. The floors were never going to dry properly. (They were, in fact, already dry, but the super's friend had neglected to sand the floor before apply the stain. One scratch of a fingernail and the stain came up in espresso-colored, rubbery strips.) They needed to be stripped, sanded, and resealed, and I had no more money. The apartment was a mess; my life was a mess. Ex asked if there was anyone I could call for comfort - my sister, perhaps. I shook my head, nostrils so full of tears and snot that I could only breathe through my mouth. "She wants me to move on. Everyone wants me to move on. But I can't move on. I could have been such a better boyfriend if you'd have let me. I love you. I can't believe you replaced me so quickly."

III. Ex's presence makes it impossible for me to focus on anything besides how much I still love him, and how furiously jealous I am of his new boyfriend.

Two days have passed since my breakdown. Ex saw to it the floors were stripped, sanded, and resealed; they are now drying properly and should be ready for heavy traffic in 24 hours. I don't hate the apartment. I hate that it will need to be wiped down from top to bottom (again!), as every square inch is now coated in dust from the floor-sanding, but I don't hate the apartment. The foot of snow is already melting. My catastrophe scale has recalibrated itself. The breakup and Ex's "new man" are now a respectable 4 rather than a panic-inducing 10.

My therapist used to say that panic, by its very nature, cannot sustain itself. The rushing adrenaline, the hypersensitivity to one's every internal sensation, the continuous thunder claps of one's brain and nerves crashing against themselves - panic overloads the body, leaves you spent, then sneaks away in the night like a shame-faced lover before you wake up the next morning. The panic is now gone, though I need to take precautions against another explosion. I must continually "decatastrophize" my thinking, recalibrate my scale, take deep breathes, and keep my xanax handy. Above all, I must get out of the old apartment.

Living with Ex is impossible. Every time I see him, I think of how much I love him. Monday night, after my breakdown, I asked him to kiss me. I'd assumed Monday would be my last night sleeping at the old apartment. (This may have contributed to the panic attack.) He kissed me - a sort of "goodbye" kiss. The instant our lips touched, blood rushed to my groin and my cheeks burned. I can't risk catastrophizing my feelings for him, and the feelings are less immediate when we're apart.

By this time tomorrow, my hope is for most of my furniture to be at the new apartment. My books, DVDs, files, and knick-knacks are already there in boxes along with the kitchen table and chairs. This leaves my two metal bookcases, my desk and filing cabinet, the "love seat" (which, from now on, I'll refer to as a "compact sofa"), my desk chair, my mattress and box spring, the air filter, and my electronics. Over the weekend I'll collect any leftover items, and then, voila! For the first time in my life, I will be living on my own.

2 comments:

Mr. Bradley said...

First of all, I'm fully aware that most of this probably won't help or anything, but I'm ridiculously opinionated and like to say my piece.

Strictly on a technical level, I adore your style. Your prose is beautiful and flows easily. It breathes with life and clarity — as a reader I don't have to go back to pick up on things I missed the first time through. I would say "flawless" if I believed in the word, and it's the imperfections that make it beautiful even as they make it perfect.

As a person, on the other hand, I'm ... well, I'm on the verge of tears after reading this. I haven't ever had anything like this happen to me (I seem to be more like Ex in that my relationships are short and frequent at this point in my life.....) but your words are tearing me apart. This is by no means a bad thing. I just wanted to say that despite having no previous experience, I feel like I'm living this. Ridiculously watered down of course, but I feel shredded inside after this post.

I don't know you, and you don't know me, but from reading your story I find you a beautiful and incredibly real person. I honestly wish you the best as you continue to grow and heal, however slow it may seem at some times. "I may never see you or cry with you or get drunk with you. But I love you. I hope that you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and that things get better, and that one day people have roses again. I wish I could kiss you."

Steve said...

Mr. Bradley,

Thank you for saying such nice things about my writing! I'm always so anxious about how these posts will turn out. I barely have time to do line-edits before I hit "publish," and I'm sure there are a million changes I would make if this were a different (more polished, less urgent) kind of writing.

Thank you, also, for your kind words about me. Yes, we are strangers, but I truly appreciate every kind word. I also love your quotation from "V for Vendetta." That moment in the film was completely unexpected and had me in tears.

Again, thank you.

Steve

Post a Comment

ShareThis